Saturday, August 1, 2009

The weekend, at last...

So I'm thinking about the barbecue... and maybe some tri-tip. The good news is, I can make virtually anything gluten free, and meats and veggies are ALL GF. As long as not cross-contaminated, anyway. And in my world, I take good care because no one in my house really needs any wheat, right? Well, my husband is another story, but even he has gone GF, just to save me the unfortunate side effects of having wheat in my house. Ah, and BBQ tri-tip sandwiches sound sooooo good, too. Gotta make the bread, though. Damn, forgot to buy eggs this morning, I'll have to go to the store again before making bread.

It occurs to me that not only should I be posting some recipes, but photos would be a good plan, too. We'll get there, I'm sure, just bear with me.

As far as recipes go, though, I can start those up, right? So here's my favorite bread recipe, starting with my favorite flour recipe.

Suzy's GF Flour Blend (I use this for virtually everything, baking wise. Cookies, cakes, muffins, bread, pizza, etc.) All flours are from Bob's Red Mill, available online.

1 24 oz package brown or white rice flour
1 23 oz package millet flour
1 20 oz package tapioca flour
1 22 oz package sweet white sorghum flour
1 24 oz package potato starch flour
(weights may be slightly off as Bob's Red Mill has changed the weights on some items recently)
In large container, blend all flours thoroughly, store in a cool dry place and use within one month for freshness. You may refrigerate or freeze for longer term storage. I use it up so fast, we don't refrigerate it.

So now, for the bread...
3 1/4 cups flour blend (see above)
1 Tbsp. Xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp. sugar or honey
1 1/2 Tbsp. RapidRise yeast
2 whole eggs
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil

This is the simplest bread I've come up with, and it's really good. And Dairy free, too! As yet, I don't know if it will work without eggs... Anyway, preheat oven to about 200 degrees, or low, and turn it off. In the bowl of your stand mixer (you don't want to do this by hand!) combine dry ingredients (flour, xanthan gum, and salt) and blend on low with your paddle attachment. Add sugar to warm water and stir to dissolve. Add yeast and wait for it to bloom (bubble). When it bubbles, add vinegar, eggs, and oil to warm water mixture. Turn mixer on low and add the wet stuff slowly to the dry stuff and mix on low until dough is no longer really lumpy. Turn the speed up to medium and mix for about 2 or 3 minutes, or until dough looks smooth. It will still be really sticky, don't try to handle it. Use a silicone spatula to scrape the bowl, get down in the bottom of the bowl and make sure there's no dry spots left. Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and mound the dough on the parchment. Be sure and try to smooth it out, it will only stick together if you mush it into shape really well, otherwise it will spread too much. You can use a 9x5 bread pan, too, but oil it really well, or the bread will stick like glue! Put the loaf in the oven (still off!) and use the oven as a proofing box, let it rise uncovered in the oven for about a half hour. When dough has doubled in size, remove from the oven and preheat oven to about 380-400 degrees. When oven is hot (give it ten minutes or so, depending on the oven) put the bread back in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, depending on how dark you like your crust. Voila! GF and totally excellent bread!

So there you have it, try it yourself, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment